I've been wanting to put some peg board up for a long time.  Had a bunch of things laying around in the workbench, on some shelves, etc, that needed a more appropriate home.

It makes a big it hides the wall studs.


Dad and I used a trencher to run a wire underground from the garage main panel to the shed back in December before it got cold.

The trencher sucked.  We literally had to go an inch or two at a time and wait for it to dig down, and then move it another inch or two.  It took hours to go 50 ft.  Horrible.  Digging by hand would have probably been quicker.  Not sure if the teeth were dull, if the clay ground was the problem or what.

After that the sub panel went in.  We got it wired to the main panel.

Then I discovered the meaning of the phrase, "not to code" I had to redo a few things...adding a ground bar at the workshop, removing the bonding strip, adding a grounding rod, pigtailing the hot wire since we ran 12/2 instead of 12/3 and couldn't have two wires under the same lug, downsizing the 30amp breaker in the main panel to 20amps, etc.

No biggie...but it was a learning experience for sure.

Anyway, I have the lights on one breaker and the outlets on another.  And best of all works.

And I also ran some of the wire in the workshop through plastic conduit to protect it.  It wasn't required, I just thought it was a good idea.

Other updates:

  • Two shop lights are up...need to put up four more yet.
  • The workbench is done...vice and bench grinder are mounted.
  • Killed a mouse.
  • Zoe helped by holding screwdrivers, adding sidewalk chalk murals to the shop concrete floor while I worked...and of course, sitting on the riding mower and making sure it didn't go anywhere.


On Sunday, I worked on the siding some more.  I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but progress is progress.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get more siding up during the week a few times after I get home from work...and then finish the siding next weekend.


With the nice weather on Sunday, we resumed work on the shed.

I picked up the shingles and drip edges and I rented a roofing nailer.

First, we had one more piece of plywood to put up on the roof since we were short one piece when we put the decking up before winter. 

We put the felt paper down before winter hit, but a recent storm completely tore the felt paper up on one side of the shed (even though there were a ton of stapes used), so we had to replace all of the felt on the back side of the shed.

Then the drip edge went on (Chris brought over an air stapler...which worked great for the drip edge).

It was about noon before the roof was ready for the shingles, and once we got started, it took about three hours to roof the back side.  

We put in two roof vents, which slowed us down at the end of the day, but it wasn't a big deal.  Did it need vents?  Not sure.  But it can only help.  Sheds can get extremely hot in the summer.  I wanted the air flow to cool it down a bit.  I'll be adding vented soffits eventually.

I wanted to get the front side done as well, but we ran out of time in the day, and we were pretty tired.  Working on a roof all day takes a lot out of your legs and back.

Hopefully this weekend will be nice and we can finish the roof.  The front side should only take 2 to 2.5 hours.

I woke up on Sunday morning to a huge wind/rain storm.  The shingles were fine, but about five feet of one row of the front side felt paper has started to pull up and was folded over.  Ugh.   Looks like we'll have to fix that. 

I can't wait until this roof is done.  Then it's just siding, then doors and it will be done enough to start moving stuff into it.  The soffits and fascia will be added down the road sometime.




A couple weekends ago, Josh, Chris & my Dad came over help put up the roof decking and felt paper.  It went well, except for us installing a few of the pieces of plywood upside down (slick-side up)...oops.  Kinda made it difficult to get off the roof.  And we also ended up being one stinking piece of plywood short, so we put a smaller piece of scrap in it's place until I get to the store to get a full sheet.

A couple days after we put the felt paper up, we got about 4 inches of snow, and a couple days after that, I noticed the wind had ripped one row of felt paper up on the back side of the shed.  So I had to go up there in the snow, clear off the snow from the roof, clean it up and tack the felt back down.  That wasn't fun.  I used a LOT of staples this time...I don't want to have to fix it again.  It gets pretty windy out here sometimes, so the more staples the better.

If it wasn't raining right now and if it wasn't supposed to rain tomorrow, we'd be putting the shingles'll be over 60 degrees would be perfect...but it's supposed to rain.  Figures.  Rain really slowed down the construction of our house, so it seems only right that it should slow down the construction of the shed too.

(I just realized I haven't taken a photo with the windows in, this is the most recent photo I have...will post a new one soon.)


The trusses were delivered on Friday afternoon and we put 'em up on Sunday morning.

Putting them up went rather smooth.  After the first couple went up, we kind of got in a rhythm and they went up fairly quick.  From start to finish it only took about three hours.  Not bad for a few guys who have never done this before.

Thanks to Dad, Greg, Chris and Jim for taking a few hours out of their schedules to come over and help out.

Next I'll be building the ladders for the gable overhangs (I didn't have to do this, but it will look nicer when finished if it has the overhangs) and after that the roof decking will go up.

I'm going to miss my self-imposed December 1st deadline partly due to Lowe's taking two weeks to get back with me on the truss quotes...but I can see the light at the end of the that's something.